I Win, We Win, Life Wins
Employee Satisfaction Index increased 6 percentage points from June 2016 to January 2017.
Patient Satisfaction Index increased 30 percentage points from June 2016 to May 2017.
Brand recall increased 6 percentage points from 2016 to 2017.
Preferred hospital in the region scores increased 6 percentage points from 2016 to 2017.
Percentage of communication complaints involving nurses and resident medical officers decreased from 16% in June 2016 to 3% in June 2017.
Complaints in Multi-Disciplinary Team Rounds decreased from 7% in June 2016 to 2% in June 2017.
A new Complaint Management System, with mobile application and software, was successfully implemented to manage complaints efficiently.
Context and challenges
N.M Virani Wockhardt Hospital was founded in 2006. It is a renowned centre for healthcare services—a super specialty hospital in the Saurashtra region of Rajkot, India. It offers comprehensive medical treatment.
When the Patient Satisfaction Index started decreasing, the CEO called in the corporate Learning & Development team to analyse the causes and take corrective action. After study and analysis, the team discovered that the decreasing Patient Satisfaction Index was due to the following challenges:
- Heads of Department lacked ownership.
- Poor communication between nurses and resident medical doctors.
The objectives of the project were to:
- Increase the Patient Satisfaction Index.
- Create ownership and leaders in every Wockhardian to work towards organisational goals.
- Be the number one preferred choice of hospital in the Saurashtra Region.
A one-year intervention was planned for the entire hospital and 615 employees, with the facilitators facilitating, reviewing progress and handholding the team for 3 months initially.
Key steps included:
1. Study and analyse the Patient Satisfaction Index.
2. One-to-one discussions with the leadership team.
3. Designing and implementing a two-stage organisation behavioural intervention, using the Whole System Approach, to achieve the project objectives:
Stage I Involved 4 days of workshops, using various facilitated processes to guide participants to an outcome, using the SPACE strategy model:
- Set the context
- Prepare to shift
- Aspire for ideal future
- Crafting strategy
- Enacting Change.
Stage II involved monitoring and evaluation once a month.
4. After seeing the results of handholding the team for 3 months, the organisation extended the facilitators’ handholding role to a year.