Social Inclusion Facilitators
Facilitation is essentially a very powerful tool in enabling and promoting equality amongst people; all facilitators believe that genuine Participation is an essential means to effective group, community, organisational and societal development. In this sense, promoting Inclusion should be the business of all facilitators; indeed, this is clearly spelled in the IAF Core Competencies in C2, which states that facilitators should “honour and recognise diversity, ensuring inclusiveness.”
This Special Interest Group grew out of a larger network of Social Inclusion Facilitators, mostly based in Africa that has been working for many years to use Facilitation as a means of tackling discrimination, exclusion and oppression in order to promote Social Cohesion and Inclusion. Currently, the group consists of 15 IAF members (in Italy, Kenya, Rwanda, South Africa, Uganda and USA), who are developing the group with the following objectives:
- To act as a means of organising for Social Inclusion facilitators globally
- To promote Social Inclusion facilitation amongst IAF members
- Development of Facilitation methods and Techniques in relation to Social Inclusion and for specific groups, e.g. people with disabilities (deaf, blind etc.), illiterate people, LGBTIQ communities, etc.
- To promote Inclusion and Diversity through the work of the SIG
- Sharing of learning, information, resources and services
Activities planned by the group are as follows:
- Regular webinars to engage with other facilitators around issues relating to Diversity and Inclusion
- Ongoing sharing and exchange of ideas, tools and methods
- Bi-monthly discussion forums (reflection and learning) for Social Inclusion facilitators
- Recruitment of new IAF members from existing Social Inclusion facilitators group (currently over 70 facilitators in 12 countries across Africa, Asia and Europe, of whom only 7 are IAF members)
- Engagement with other IAF members involved in Social Inclusion / Diversity & Inclusion facilitation
To become involved with this group, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do also have a listen and watch a recent webinar run by Martin Gilbraith with Judy Rees called Promoting Inclusion in Online Facilitation.