IAF Professional Development Path
IAF - the Backbone of the Facilitation Industry
The IAF is the home and support for facilitators at all phases of their career. Since 1994 the IAF has promoted the value of facilitation worldwide through the establishment of international standards and by providing support and recognition for the professional development of facilitators.
The Association has drawn on the significant experience and expertise of its members to identify the key attributes of credible and effective facilitation. The outcomes of this are IAF’s Statement of Values and Code of Ethics and the IAF Core Competencies framework.
The IAF Professional Development Path
The IAF Professional Development Path (PDP) is composed of the following stages which are completed through a process ranging from gaining membership in the organisation to being individually assessed according to competency and experience. The PDP allows for a facilitator to undertake one stage at a time, ending at any one of them or advancing along the Pro-Path as part of an evolving career. They are:
- IAF Member
- IAF Endorsed™ Facilitator (EF)
- IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator (CPF)
- IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator | Master (CPF | M)
- IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator | Emeritus (CPF | E)
Please click here for our Professional Development Fee Schedule and Policies.
Please click here for our IAF Professional Development Pathway Presentation
Beyond membership, all PDP level assessments are conducted and completed online. The CPF assessment can be done in-person, or online. Consider the following when making a choice.
1. IAF Member
Develop your facilitation skills and network
- Do you work as a facilitator, or use facilitation in your current role?
- Are you interested in actively developing your professional skills and keeping up to date with trends in facilitation?
- Would you like to benefit from IAF resources, network and fellow members and events?
IAF membership offers you the opportunity for improving your facilitation skills, investing in continuous professional development and furthering the field of facilitation. Become a member.
2. IAF Endorsed™ Facilitator
Demonstrate your professional development
- Have you been working as a facilitator, or using facilitation in your current role, for more than a year?
- Are you in the early stages of your career as facilitator or work primarily as a consultant, project manager, trainer, coach, or meeting leader, independently or within an organisation?
Do you want to be recognised as knowledgeable about group process facilitation by your clients and colleagues? IAF Endorsed™ Facilitator designation is given to members who have demonstrated an understanding of IAF Core Competencies and have some practical experience using facilitation tools, techniques, and/or methods. Become an IAF Endorsed™ Facilitator.
3. IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator
Establish yourself as a professional facilitator
- Have you been working as a facilitator, or using facilitation in your current role, for several years?
- Are you seeking meaningful validation of your experience by achieving a credential recognised at international level?
- Are you ready to consolidate your investment in your professional development by receiving detailed feedback from other facilitators?
IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator (CPF) status is a credential given to members who been through the rigorous IAF certification process and have undergone an in-depth peer review of their experience, knowledge, skills, and facilitation practice. Become an IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator.
4. IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator | Master
Be recognised for shaping the field of facilitation
- Are you an IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator?
- Have you been working as a facilitator for over a decade?
- Are you looking for a credential that can validate your professional career as facilitator and your contribution to the development and the promotion of the profession?
IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator | Master (CPF | M) status is given to members who have already completed the CPF, recertified twice and passed the CPF | M certification. Become an IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator | M.
5. IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator | Emeritus
Inspire the next generation of facilitators
- Have you transformed the field of facilitation?
- Have you contributed to inspire the next generation of facilitators?
- Are you stepping back as a Facilitator from working full time to only taking on select projects?
IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator | E status is only given to members who have been recognised by the IAF for their contribution to the field of facilitation. As elders in our community, Emeritus Members are recognised and celebrated. Become an IAF Certified™ Professional Facilitator | E.