Facilitators during one of the sessions in a conference, 2016.
50 SHADES OF PARTICIPATION
is IAF Africa Conference, 2017 to be held at Arusha, Tanzania in November. All facilitators, worldwide are invited in Nov 23-25th of 2017 at Sariko Olasiti Lodge, Arusha Tanzania.This is located a short distance from the city centre.
For more information kindly click the link https://www.iaf-world.org/site/africa2017
or Contact Churchill Shakim through: firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the 2016 Africa Conference report:
About IAF in Africa
- Read our information about IAF in Africa in English
- Read our information about IAF in Africa in French
Facilitation in Africa is as broad and diverse as the continent itself. Made up of 54 countries, with as many as 2,000 different spoken languages and at least as many ethnic groups, the continent is rich in its approaches to facilitation.
Priorities for 2017-18
John Cornwell, Regional Director for Africa, has set the following priorities for 2017-18:
- Continued growth of membership and chapters throughout the region
- Continued development of “African voice and perspective” throughout all IAF activities
- Development of Facilitation practice through conferences, facilitator dialogues, online sessions etc.
- Professional Development through holding regular Certified Professional Facilitation (CPF) events and supporting training & mentoring processes
- Improved Networking and Communication, including making maximum use of online & social media platforms
International Facilitation Week (IFW)
International Facilitation Week is now in its 5th year and is a global celebration of “the power of facilitation”. In 2017 it will run from October 16th – 22nd. All members are encouraged to actively participate by organising local events and activities. Please have a look at https://www.iaf-world.org/
site/pages/international-for more about the event and let's start sharing ideas on the same. Thank you in advance! facilitation-week
IAF Kenya will mark the week through a number of activities See details here:https://www.iaf-world.org/site/chapters/kenya
Contact persons are Mariam Okumu in Kenya (email@example.com) and Alain Kiruhura (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Rwanda.Members in West Africa also meet regularly as a sub-regional team – contact person is Janet Akob (email@example.com) or Kofi@kumodzi.com
We now have 3 active whatsapp groups in the region – IAF Africa, IAF West Africa and IAF Rwanda
Facilitation in Africa
What does facilitation look like in Africa? There is no simple answer to this question; facilitation approaches and experiences are as broad and diverse as the continent itself.
Traditional and common practices, such as storytelling and community-led development, sit in harmony with participatory facilitation processes. When combined effectively, they can produce powerful and sustainable outcomes.
"Mozambique is at a stage where building capacity and knowledge is in demand to respond to the challenges for development. As such, I see an enormous opportunity for facilitation across the country. And that is my personal contribution. As a facilitator, I help a group of people go somewhere together, with a purpose." - Edson Correia, IAF member and CPF in Maputo, Mozambique
"Since the profession is still relatively new in Nigeria, there is a huge opportunity for an association that helps to create awareness for just what facilitation is or is not, and to set standards and promote ethics and best practices for facilitation." - Kate Onyeanakwe, IAF member based in Abuja, Nigeria
"In Togo, and much of francophone West Africa, facilitation is not very well defined. Many people confuse facilitation and training. That makes it challenging for facilitators to remain detached and out of the content, while their clients want them to be experts on the subject matter. Communication, awareness, and even training of key stakeholders is critical if we want to make the profession move effective in our region." - Kofi Kumodzi, IAF member and CPF based in Lome, Togo
Warm welcome to our newest members: Sharda Naidoo in South Africa,Hellen Kalinda in Kenya, Sajimi Olusegun in Nigeria and Inayat Abbas Firdusi in Kenya.
We are currently on 44 members across 12 countries, as well as our 3 diaspora members. For those who need to renew or join, please do get in touch with our office manager, Mujtaba Mirza, through firstname.lastname@example.org
For those in Kenya and elsewhere in East Africa, there is an option to pay through Mpesa (mobile money), please contact email@example.com to use this.
The next all members meeting will be on Friday 6th of October and Friday 1st of December2017
The next Leadership team meeting will be on Friday the 3rd of November.
Both meetings run from 5.00 – 6.30pm (East Africa time)
The IAF Africa Director always sends the meeting links to all members, please purpose to attend.
Certified Professional Facilitator programme (CPF)
- Congratulations to Ashleigh van Rensburg from South Africa who recently became a CPF after the event in London. She becomes our 6th CPF in the Region alongside Janet Akob, Kofi Kumodzi, Zuber Ahmed, Edson Correia and Judyth Nasimolo.
Certified Professional Facilitator (CPF) events
We are hoping to run several CPF events in 2018, including one in Kenya with dates to be confirmed.
To know more about the CPF process, please see the links below:
General Information on CPF https://www.iaf-world.org/site/professional/cpf
Funding Assistance for CPF https://www.iaf-world.org/site/iaf-funding-assistance
If you feel you are ready to go ahead with the process, kindly register your interest through firstname.lastname@example.org as the first step.
Chapter and Community Activities:
For more information on activities in the Africa region, please contact email@example.com
- Kenya chapter has meet-ups every last Wednesday or Thursday of the month from 6-8 pm at Bilakoye Restaurant, Hazina towers, Nairobi. Next meeting is Wednesday 23rd of August, 2017. Open to IAF members and other facilitators - an opportunity for networking and sharing. Contact person Mariam Okumu firstname.lastname@example.org or +254 721 995 643.
- Kenya Facilitators Dialogue will be held on 16th September, 2017. Theme: Facilitation and Peace Building
- The West Africa group of members will also continue their regular online meetings. For more details, please contact Janet Akob through email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Rwanda chapter have been meeting regularly . For more details, please contact Alain Kiruhura through email@example.com
- some of our members are also involved in developing a Portuguese / Lusophone community that has a global reach. If you are interested to get involved in this, please contact Celeste Brito through firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Process Facilitation:
- We are in the process of developing a Special Interest Group (SIG) with members from Peru and elsewhere in Latin America as well as other regions. The aim is to have a regular exchange and learning forum with members from Africa who are engaged in social process facilitation. You can listen to the recording of the first Social Process Dialogue held on June 9th 2017 as well as other recent webinars: https://www.iaf-world.org/site/pages/professional-development-resources
- If you might be interested to be part of this, please get in touch with John Cornwell through email@example.com or Hector Villareal through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Waruingi from Kenya is now doing all our social media and website updates. If you have news or information for her, please get in touch through email@example.com
- We now have 3 active whatsapp groups, one for all Africa members, one for those in West Africa and one for Rwanda – if you’d like to join any of these, please do contact Susan or John Cornwell through firstname.lastname@example.org